Foreign Researchers - Working at FLUL

Recognition of foreign phd degree


If you completed your PhD abroad it is  mandatory to request its recognition in Portugal to comply with the Portuguese legislation concerning the recognition of foreign qualifications (regulated, since January 1st 2019, by the Decree-Law no. 66/2018; Normative Order no. 33/2019, of January 25th).

You may also request the recognition of your foreign PhD at the University of Lisbon Foreign Qualifications Service.



Application for working visa and residency


If you are a non-european union/european economic area national, please check the Diplomatic Portal of the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs  for guidelines on how to apply for a National Visa at the Consular Post of your residential area.

You will be applying under Article 90, Paragraph 1 (Law 23/2007, 4th of July): for a Residence Permit for Teaching, Highly Qualified or Cultural Activity.

The main documentation required is:

  • Official form;
  • Passport or additional travel document;
  • Two passport photos;
  • Criminal record certificate from the country of origin or the country where the applicant is residing for over a year;
  • Work promise and proof of means of subsistence (to be issued by FLUL as soon as the PhD recognition is sent);
  • Invitation letter issued by a research center (to be signed by the Head of the host research center at FLUL)

You should then schedule a meeting at the consular post to submit the documentation and application.


If you are a european union/european economic area/switzerland citizen and intend to stay in Portugal for a period exceeding three months, please apply for your Registration Certificate for EU/EEA/Switzerland Citizen 


Upon arrival


Apply for a Tax Number (NIF): Once in Portugal, you will have to register with the Tax Authorities to have a Tax Number (NIF). You will need it to sign the contract and carry out any official or legal activities in Portugal, such as renting a house, opening a bank account, signing a mobile phone contract, etc.

You may need to schedule a meeting at the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF). Please bear in mind the  Rights and Duties of a Residence Permit Holder

Phone | 808 202 653 / MOBILE | 808 962 690

Email Este endereço de email está protegido contra piratas. Necessita ativar o JavaScript para o visualizar.

Full contacts information here.


Salary (indicative) / Living

Attention! The amounts in the table below are for reference only. The net amount received at the end of each month may vary, depending on each situation.


In the table below, three main salary levels are indicated, with all the taxes that apply and the net amount received per month (last column):

  Gross salary (1) Meal subsidy (2) Personal income tax (3) Social Security (4) ADSE (5) Amount received monthly
* (4,77/day) (20% flat rate)** (11% flat rate) (3,5% flat rate)*** (1)+(2)-(3)-(4)-(5)
Junior researcher 2128,34 104,94 425,67 234,12 74,49 1499,00
Assistant researcher 3191,82 104,94 638,36 351,10 111,71 2195,58
Principal researcher 3601,03 104,94 720,21 396,11 126,04 2463,61
*In June and in November an extra salary is received (all the taxes referred to above apply. No meals subsidy), so you receive 14 salaries/year.
**Average flat rate (it changes according to each personal tax situation) 
***Health Care System for Public Officers (optional).        


The cost of living in Portugal is considerably lower than in other European countries. For comparisons see

Look for a home/room and/or check costs: